How important is enjoyment at work for you?
Provided you are on a reasonable salary and have a relatively secure job, I believe enjoyment at work can be just as important as the money you earn. This is because being unhappy at work can have a huge impact on your life; your motivation and commitment may decrease and your stress levels will increase. Your enthusiasm for life will diminish.
When you realise that your misery at work is all you can think and talk about, it is definitely time to accept that you should do something about it.
What causes unhappiness at work?
A number of factors can cause unhappiness at work including:
· Lack of control and fairness.
· Micro management.
· Long, inflexible hours.
· Unmanageable workload and deadlines.
In an ideal world, to improve wellbeing at work, we would be allowed to work shorter or flexible hours, have manageable deadlines and workloads and have a good manager. In the absence of these things, it is down to you to make some changes. Here are some ideas:
· Be organised - every morning make a list of the tasks and do the least attractive task first.
· Dress confidently.
· Take breaks - drink plenty of water and eat healthy snacks.
· Arrange a lunch date.
· Delegate work where possible.
· Ask for feedback.
· At the end of each day, remind yourself of what you have achieved.
Out of work:
· Pursue a hobby and do some exercise.
· Take a holiday.
· Set some goals.
· Instruct a career coach.
· Plan something nice to do each week.
You may think this is common sense but when you are feeling unhappy, it is easy to forget the little things that make a difference. Often the smallest alteration to a working day can make the biggest difference to your happiness and wellbeing at work.Make some changes now – you will achieve more in your career and feel much better for it!