It can be really difficult managing a large workload. You can end up feeing exhausted and extremely stressed.
If this sounds familiar, perhaps take some time to review how you spend your time at work. Use the following points to assist:
- Every morning make a list of the tasks you must complete that day and a separate list of tasks that you would like to complete if you had time.
- Do the thing you least want to do first. You will be so pleased when you have achieved it and feel motivated for the rest of the day.
- Eliminate all distractions when working on a large piece of work. For instance, turn your mobile off and close your emails.
- Focus on one thing at a time. For example, allocate part of the day to making telephone calls and another part to responding to emails and clearing your inbox.
- Are you expected to do everything yourself? If possible, delegate some of your work.
- Learn to say ‘no’ when you have too much work to do and to explain the reason why.
- If you are struggling with a piece of work, ask for help. Feeling that something is beyond your capabilities can make you feel out of control.
- Do you need to work late every day? Ensuring you leave work on time at least once or twice a week will free up time for your personal life.
- Plan to do something you enjoy at least once a week.
Often the smallest alteration to your working day can make the biggest difference in enabling you to work more quickly and effectively. It can also ease feelings of stress and allow you to enjoy your life again.