You will find below a list of some of the things to avoid during an interview which I hope will be of use to you.
1. Do not be late. Ensure you allow yourself plenty of time to travel to your interview. First impressions are crucial.
2. Do not criticise your current employer/boss. Be professional. Your interviewer might wonder what you would say about their company if you were to get the job as well as view you as a negative person.
3. Do not lie. For example, do not cover up gaps on your CV. You will be caught out at some stage, particularly when references are requested. Instead, prepare constructive responses to questions regarding gaps and be honest. You do not want to raise suspicion.
4. When you are asked if you have any questions at the end of the interview, do not simply say ‘no’. Ensure you have prepared a good question to ask (even if you already know the answer!).
5. Do not talk too much. You are at risk of waffling and saying the wrong thing. Keep to the point.
6. When asked why you want the job, sell yourself. For example, do not say ‘because it is closer to home’. Sound like you really want the job.
7. When asked for weaknesses, do not say that you don’t have any. Prepare an answer to this question and turn your weakness into a positive.
8. Do not interrupt. Listen carefully to the questions and take a breath before giving your answer. There is no need to rush.
9. Do not ask for days off. You can have this conversation when they make you an offer.
10. Do not talk about salary unless the interviewers raise this topic during the interview.
Carrying out thorough preparation will prevent you from making mistakes such as these during an interview and increase your chances of success.